In a shocking turn of events, a helicopter crash in the barren desert, 75 miles northeast of Barstow, California, has claimed the lives of six individuals. Among the victims were Dr. Herbert Onyewumbu Wigwe, the Group CEO of Nigeria-based Access Bank, his wife, and their son. Also on board was Abimbola Ogunbanjo, the former chair of the Nigerian Exchange Group. This tragic incident has sent shockwaves through both the banking industry and the Nigerian nation.
The ill-fated Airbus Eurocopter EC130 had departed from Palm Springs with the intention of landing in Boulder City, Nevada. However, fate had other plans. The crash occurred at approximately 10:08 p.m. on Friday, just a quarter-mile east of Interstate 15 near Halloran Springs Road. The cause of the crash is currently under investigation by federal authorities, including the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB).
While specifics regarding the pilot and copilot have not yet been released, the NTSB has stated that they will carefully examine witness reports of downed power lines in the area, as well as accounts of rain and “wintery mist.” These factors may have played a role in the tragic incident. Witnesses have already come forward, sharing their harrowing experiences of seeing fire in the crash area.
The loss of Dr. Herbert Wigwe, a widely respected figure in Nigeria’s financial sector, has sent shockwaves throughout the country. His leadership at Access Bank propelled it to international recognition, making it a prominent name in the global financial services industry. Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State expressed his deep shock and devastation, emphasizing the profound impact that Dr. Wigwe had on Nigeria’s economy.
As the investigation unfolds, the wreckage serves as a grim reminder of the fragility of life. Our thoughts and condolences go out to the families and loved ones of all those affected by this heartbreaking incident. May their souls rest in peace, and may those left behind find strength in the face of this profound loss.
1. What happened in the helicopter crash?
– A helicopter crashed in the barren desert of California, claiming the lives of six individuals, including Dr. Herbert Onyewumbu Wigwe, the Group CEO of Access Bank, his wife, their son, and Abimbola Ogunbanjo, the former chair of the Nigerian Exchange Group.
2. Where did the helicopter crash occur?
– The crash happened 75 miles northeast of Barstow, California, near Halloran Springs Road.
3. What was the intended route of the helicopter?
– The helicopter was supposed to land in Boulder City, Nevada, and had departed from Palm Springs.
4. What authorities are investigating the crash?
– Federal authorities, including the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), are currently investigating the crash.
5. What factors are being examined in the investigation?
– The NTSB is looking into witness reports of downed power lines, as well as accounts of rain and “wintery mist” in the area as potential factors in the crash.
6. Who was Dr. Herbert Wigwe?
– Dr. Herbert Wigwe was the Group CEO of Access Bank, a widely respected figure in Nigeria’s financial sector, and instrumental in the bank’s international recognition.
1. Access Bank: A Nigeria-based bank that has gained international recognition in the financial services industry.
2. Nigerian Exchange Group: An entity responsible for operating the Nigerian Stock Exchange.
Suggested related links: